Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Ruby in the Smoke

If I had been thinking, I would have posted about this earlier so I could get some comments. Hopefully, some of you were lucky enough to catch the Masterpiece Mystery! adaptation of The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman.

I never really liked the His Dark Materials books, and I say that fully prepared to now receive a beating from literature lovers everywhere. But I loved the Sally Lockheart Mysteries. Sally, Jim, Adelaide, and Frederick remain some of my favorite literary characters. So I was ecstatic when I heard that Masterpiece made a movie out of the first book.

I loved the movie. Loved it. I wish it could have been a little longer, but other than that I don't have any complaints. It has been about six years since I read the book, which turned out really great for me, since I remembered enough details to know the ending, but not how the action arrived at that point. The soundtrack was amazing, and the acting was terrific. And now I'm going to go all girly on you by saying this: Frederick is totally swoon-worthy. But in all seriousness, the action drew me in like crazy. I'm going to have to go back and read the book now, but I hope it won't ruin how much I liked the movie.

If you want the chance to see the movie, The Ruby in the Smoke is available on Amazon.com right now. And tune in next Sunday, because they're doing The Shadow in the North, which honestly was my favorite book in the trilogy (Though The Tin Princess was my favorite. But that's technically a "companion book").

If you really want a taste of the movie, you can look it up on YouTube. I'm not going to post it because of copyright issues. So you can see it there. But you didn't hear that from me!

No comments: