Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Favorites: Dealing with Dragons

I’ve decided to start a feature where I review some of my absolute favorite books. These are usually ones that have been out for awhile, and most people have heard of them. This is my chance to convince you just what you’re missing if you don’t read these. So first up, here’s

Dealing with Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book One by Patricia C. Wrede

Cimorene isn’t your normal princess. In fact, she doesn’t look, talk, or behave like any normal self-respecting princess. So when Cimorene runs away and volunteers to be a dragon’s princess, it’s not completely unexpected. Well, for the reader anyway. But Cimorene’s parents refuse to believe anyone would choose to be a dragon’s princess.

But Cimorene has much more important things to think about than her parents. She’s too busy cooking Cherries Jubilee, sorting treasure, and learning the history of the dragons from her new dragon friend, Kazul. So when knights start showing up to “rescue” her, Cimorene is more than a little annoyed. Little does she know, things are about to get a lot more interesting, and pesky knights are the least of her problems!

For those of you who read this blog regularly, you know how much I adore retold fairy tales. This book turns them all on their heads! Think of every stereotype possible in traditional fairytales and be prepared to toss them all out the window while reading this one. In addition to the great new perspective caused by breaking these stereotypes, this book has the perfect blend of humor, adventure, and just enough suspense to keep you going. Everyone I’ve ever recommend this book to LOVES it, and it’s been one of my favorites for many years.

Shady Glade Rating: 10/10 (Were you really surprised?)

Read the continuation of Cimorene’s adventures in the rest of the series:
Searching for Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book Two
Calling on Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book Three (my personal favorite of the series)
Talking to Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book Four

Visit the Shady Glade Store for these (and more) recommended reads, movies, music and more!


5 comments:

Mary Lee said...

I just finished re-reading the Prydain Chronicles, and when I re-shelved them on the Fantasy Shelf beside the Dealing With Dragons series, I almost to re-read them, too! They are 10/10 for me, too!

Erin said...

OK OK OK! I'll read it.

:)

Erin said...

You've been tagged!

Henry Cate said...

My daughters love the Dragon books by Patricia Wrede.

I finally broke down and read Talking to Dragons. I was surprised by how fun it was.

http://whyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2007/06/book-review-talking-to-dragons-by.html

Sharon L. Holland said...

I read this book a couple months ago and loved it. I look forward to reading it to my daughters someday.