Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reading Meme

Jocelyn over at Teen Book Review tagged me with a meme! a few days ago, but I didn't have time to do it there. But now the homework is done (for now), so here goes:


Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews? Honestly? Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I just can't seem to bring myself to read it, although I will be doing so in a few weeks for my YA class.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be? Hmmm, that would be hard. I think it would be fun to travel somewhere. I would pick Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, Ella from Ella Enchanted, and Kate from The Hollow Kingdom.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? I know I'm going to get flak for this one... I've heard War and Peace is pretty boring, so that might just do it.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it? I can't think of one of the top of my head, but I've faked a lot of english assignments.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book? I can honestly say I don't think that's ever happened to me.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP) I think I'd like to be book advisor to a big VIP's children... it would be more fun. I'd probably start them off with the Stravganza series, since I'm still trying to get my brother to read it.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with? Spanish. I already know a bit, and for some reason it holds the most interest for me.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick? Um, probably a Harry Potter book, since I already reread those so often. I really feel guilty when I reread something because there is so many new books that need to be read!

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)? I;ve learned about a ton of new books, which could be taken as a good or a bad thing.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free. My dream library
would look a lot like the library in Beauty and the Beast; lots and lots of book. Plus, my library would come with an unlimited book budget so I could buy any book I wanted. Oh, and a time-stopping device would be cool too. That way I could spend hours reading and never actually lose any homework time. And no library would be complete with at least two cats... one to sleep on the bookshelves, and one to sit on my lap and purr as I'm reading.


I tag Em, Sarah, and InkMage. Have fun!

1 comment:

Em said...

Thanks for tagging me! I finally posted my answers. :-)

http://emsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2008/02/ive-been-tagged-for-meme.html