Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Best Book Covers of 2010

So after a couple days' delay (things are still crazy around here) I'm back with another top 10 from 2010. Today we're looking at the best book covers from 2010. Now, I haven't read all of these, but the covers to these books are super cool anyway.Those of you who are longtime readers are familiar with how much I gush about covers during my Waiting on Wednesday posts. So I guess I'm somewhat of a cover enthusiast. I love to gush about good covers, and rant about bad ones.

So let me tell you, this was hard. I mean, really, really, really hard for me to choose only 10. I got it narrowed down to 20 fairly easily, and 15 eventually, but narrowing it down to only 10 was killer. But after looking at the 10 I finally chose, I saw that they narrowed down into semi-categories. And I thought it would be fun to present them that way. Perhaps in a few days I'll post the runner ups, because there were a lot of great book covers last year.

So here are my Top 10 Covers of 2010. I made sure I uploaded large files, so all of these can be clicked on and be viewed large size in all their splendid glory.

Enjoy!

Category 1: Period Dresses

Oh, the dresses. I can't help it, I think my obsession with these types of covers comes from living two semesters with a roommate who was majoring in fashion design with a theatrical costume emphasis. And it's probably party of my inner girly-girl escaping as well.

I've noticed that I tend to favor photographic covers (although they are sometimes heavily photoshopped) like The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette and The Agency 2: The Body at the Tower show. But I also really love the painting style for The Thirteenth Princess. Something about it just glows. By the way, The Thirteenth Princess was one of the covers featured for the 2010 12 Days of Christmas giveaways this year, and it was probably the second least correctly guess cover of the bunch.

Which reminds me, I still need to post the answers for those. One more thing on the to-do list...


Category 2: Pretty Colors

I can't help it. I love color. And the colors in these covers are awesome. I love how the blue of Forgive My Fins instantly makes me think of mermaids (which the book is about, obviously). Either that or a girl who's frostbitten, but there you go.

I really like the effect of Jekel Loves Hyde as well. The sickly green glow of that boiling beaker nicely contrasts with the purple of Jill's shirt. This is one of the books on this list that I have read, and I think this cover perfectly captures the tone of the book.

And last we come to that beautiful shade of green on the Matched cover. I've heard this one is even more pretty in person because it has a pearly sheen to it. I haven't seen it in real life yet (though I do have a copy on it's way in the mail to me, yay!) but even the virtual version is pretty. I like the imagery too, the idea of being trapped in a bubble, which sounds like it really accurately reflects the book. And it's a pretty dress. (I know, I know, I'm gushing about dresses again...)


Category 3: What's with the cat eyes?

Okay, so this might be a stretch to lump these two together. But still, it works! There's something about changing the shape of the pupils in both of these covers that give both of them a subtle hint of the supernatural (without them being scary). Needless to say, Mistwood draws me in right away with the misty woods and castle. And I really like the font used for the title too. And as much as I like this cover, the sequel's is even prettier. Really looking forward to that one too.

Firelight could also go in the pretty colors category. I love the warm feel of the reds in this cover. The moment I saw this cover I knew I had to have the book. It's sitting in my To Be Read pile right now, and I hope it lives up to the expectation I've gotten from the cover. In addition to the subtle change of the eye, I love how you can just barely see the sheen of scales around her eye. Very cool. Or hot... oh, you know what I mean!


Category 4: Ally Carter!


Yeah, I know this is kind of an odd category. But in grouping my covers I noticed I had two left, and both of them were for Ally Carter books. I guess she had a good year for covers in 2010.

First is the new Gallagher Girl cover, Only the Good Spy Young. Can I just say that I've loved these covers for the whole series, but this one by far has to be my favorite. The plaid theme is super cool on the spine, and the title treatments are always fun. But this one is PINK! My favorite color. So of course, no future GG books will ever be as much favorite as this one is.

And last by certainly not least, is Heist Society. I already wanted to read this book as soon as read the description. But when I saw the cover, I knew I had to have it NOW. I love the juxtaposition of Kat's sunglasses and the painting reflected in them. I've seen another cover for this book (I think it's the UK or Australian cover, maybe?) where Kat (who's blond instead of brunette) is in front of a painting in a ski cap with a bunch of red lasers around her. And while that might say "thief" more than this cover does, I love this cover so much more. The other version just doesn't feel like Kat to me. She has so much pizazz, and I think this cover shows that way better.


So that's my Top Ten Covers for 2010. What were your favorites?

2 comments:

MissA said...

These are all really great! I love the period detail and the whole feel of the Agency series books but the 2nd cover in the series is by far my favorite too. I also really liked the covers for the Souless Parasol Protectorate series (until I really looked at them and realized the 'model' was a doll...)

I really like the scales at the edge of her eyes in Firelight too, it's very cool (and the red hair makes it hot, heehee. ok I'll stop).

I also LOVED the cover for Bleeding Violet but that's because purple is my favorite cover :D Gateway by Sharon Shinn had a nice cover too (the writing was lovely but the actual plot was not-so-good. I was so hoping the story would live up to the gorgeous cover).

Alyssa F said...

Gateway had a beautiful cover! It was in my runner ups. I could have done a Top 20 covers and still not included all the pretty covers from last year. The plot itself was disappointing though, I agree. The cover was definitely the best part of that book.