Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Still Star-Crossed

This week's Waiting on Wednesday post ventures once again into the realm of retellings/sequels, but this time instead of fairy tales, we're doing Shakespeare.

Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub
About the Book: "Romeo and Juliet are gone. Will love live on? Despite the glooming peace that's settled on Verona after the recent tragedy, Montagues and Capulets are brawling in the streets. Faced with more bloody battles, Prince Escalus concludes that the only way to truly marry the fortunes of these two families is to literally marry them together. 

Everyone is skeptical, but none more so than the pair selected, for the most eligible Montague bachelor is Benvolio, Romeo's best friend, still anguished by the loss of his companions, and the chosen Capulet maid is Juliet's older cousin Rosaline, the girl Romeo first loved and whose refusal of Romeo's affection paved the way for bloodshed. Contrary to their late cousins, there's no love lost between Benvolio and Rosaline, yet they forge a bond to end the renewed feud not only to escape their forced betrothal, but to save their lives and the city of Verona itself."
So, I'm kind of an oddball in that I actually do enjoy some of Shakespeare's plays a lot.  However, Romeo and Juliet was never one of my favorites.  I like happy endings, not tradegy.  But for some reason, I seem to love retellings of Romeo and Juliet, so this one is right up my alley.  

By the way, if anyone wants to see a hilarous animated move retelling of Romeo and Juliet with an actual happy ending, I highly recommend Disney's Gnomeo & Juliet.  This movie had me and my brother rolling.  

Getting back to the book, I have another book on my shelf that's written from Romeo's point of view called Romeo's Ex.  I haven't read it yet (towering To Be Read pile and all that) but perhaps this is the time to pull it down and jump into it.  I have a feeling these two books will either compliment each other nicely, or totally clash.  

Still Star-Crossed will be available in the US starting July 9th, 2013, just a few days away.
  
Available at Amazon.com in Hardcover  or  Kindle 
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Check availability on Paperbackswap.com

1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I love the cover for this one. I've read a few retellings of R&J and had an okay time with them; I'd love for this one to blow me away!