Thursday, October 09, 2008

Reflections on Cybils Nominations

As you may know, the Cybils nominations are now open until October 15th. Since I'm on the panel this year, I pay a little more attention to the process than most people. It's been interesting to watch the process, although granted I'm paying more attention to the Fantasy panel, since that's the one I'm on.

In the past days I have noticed few things I'm surprised to see. First of all, we've gotten way more nominations for ineligible books this time around than previous year. I've noticed a lot more self-published titles too, though this is good since I like seeing every book get its chance.

That being said, there are a few books that I'm surprised haven't been nominated. Based on some of the reviews I've read around, I expected a few titles to be on there that aren't there yet. These include Cybele's Secret, The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of "Rumpelstiltskin", The 39 Clues (The Maze of Bones, Book 1), and The Quest Begins (Seekers, Book 1) as well some others. It will be interesting to see if any of those end up on the list by October 15th...

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm a bit surprised too at the list so far! I still have my nomination left, which I'm going to use for House of Many Doors unless some other kind person puts it in...

I haven't heard of the Crimson Thread...

Charlotte said...

Blah, of course I meant House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones. Sorry!

penmage said...

Someone just nominated it! I can't believe it took so long. I was starting to wonder if I'd have to nominate it myself!