Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Christmas Stories

There's just something about reading and Christmas that goes hand in hand. Maybe it's the cold and wintery weather, maybe it's the spirit of the season, maybe it's something else. I'm not really sure myself, but I know one of my favorite things to do during Christmas is read Christmas stories.

So what's a Christmas story? Well, there's a movie called A Christmas Story, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about short stories that in some way revolve around Christmas. Some are secular (think more like the Nutcracker) and some are more religious. But they all have that special sparkle that warms your heart during this time of year.

I think my fascination started with the storybook advent calender I mentioned yesterday. My aunt made it for us, and there was a Christmas themed story or poem to read for each night counting down to Christmas Eve. I loved that book, and I'm kind of sad I can't find it anymore.

There isn't really one specific anthology of Christmas stories out there that's better than another. Last year I reviewed Mary Englebreit's Believe: A Christmas Treasury, which is a good general book to have. And there's lots of others out there too if you just look around.

This year I'm reading Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas Treasury: Holiday Stories to Warm the Heart. I loved the Chicken Soup books when I was growing up, but this is one I had never tried before. Yeah, the stories can get kind of cliche and predictable, but it's part of what makes them charming. And they give you lots of warm fuzzies, which is always a good think at the end of a long day.

So how about you? Do you have a favorite Christmas story you like to read?

2 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Mary D

I love Christmas warm fuzzies, too! I REALLY recommend the book that they took the movie - A Christmas Story (you'll shoot yer eye out, kid!) from: In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shephard (sp?). The entire book is one chapter of warm fuzzies after another! ;D

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites is a children's picture book...Santa Calls by William Joyce. It's an adventure story about a girl, her brother and Santa. Great story and awesome pictures.