I know currently smack dab in the middle of a huge blog undertaking for the YA Bloggers Book Battle, and I need another project like I need a hole in my head. But I had this idea come into my head a couple weeks ago and it's been hard to think of anything else. So I present to you, the 2011 Tamora Pierce Reading Challenge!
So why this challenge? Well, Tamora Pierce is one of my all-time favorite authors, and she has a new book coming out October 25: Mastiff, the last book in the Beka Cooper trilogy. To celebrate, from now until October 31, I'm going to reread some of my favorite Tamora Pierce books, finishing up with her newest book (a short story collection) out in February, Tortall and Other Lands, which I got for my birthday. Since that's the only book of hers I haven't read from cover to cover yet. :)
So I thought it would be fun to have others join me. I know I'm not the only one out there who's a Tamora Pierce fan after all. So set a goal to finish a set, or re-read your favorite. And if you haven't tried her books yet, maybe you want to give them a try? She has 27 "full" books currently published, not including books that she's edited, contributed a short story to, or her comic book series for adults. So there's a little something for everyone out there.
And the fun doesn't stop here! Check back for new posts every once in awhile celebrating all things Tamora Pierce, guest posts, features, and of course, there will be prizes!
This reading challenge is totally low pressure. You can set a goal as big or as little as you want. Choose your challenge from the list below. Some of her books are quite small and quick to finish, while others are more hefty. So pick a goal you think you can reach:
Page - A good start for beginners. Complete 1-4 books
Squire - For those ready for the next level, complete 5-8 books
Knight/Lady Knight - A steady challenge at halfway, complete 9-14 books
Duke/Duchess - For serious fans, complete 15-20 books
King/Queen - This level is for serious fans, and comes complete with a royal title, complete 21-26 books
Emperor/Empress - For diehard fans, think you can finish all 27 books?
If you want to join me, here's what you do:
This challenge runs from July 6th-
- Choose a participation level, and create a list of the books you'd like to complete
- For bloggers, create a post on your blog about the challenge and include your list. You can also grab the button above for your sidebar.
- Leave a direct link to your challenge post in Mr. Linky below.
- Non-bloggers are welcome too! Leave your list in the comments of this post, or if link to a Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Shelfari, Librarything, etc. account.
- Spread the word: if you have a friend who you think will enjoy this challenge, let them know about it. The more the merrier!
- Get reading! Audiobooks also count for this challenge, so if you're too busy to read, you can also try listening.
- You are welcome to do update posts as you wish throughout the challenge. Or not. It's completely up to you.
- Report your results. I'll be putting up another Linky at the end of
OctoberDecember for everyone to report how they did.
- Have fun! Enjoy the feature posts, check out what other participants are reading, read some reviews. But most of all, enjoy the process!
Some come in and join the fun! Feel free to let me know if anyone has questions, and sign up using Mr. Linky below:
In attempting the Empress level, I will be attempting to read all 27 books. And here's the order I'm completing them in (already half done with the first one!)
The Circle books
Circle of Magic series:
The Circle Opens series:
The Circle Reforged books:
The Will of the Empress (one of my favorites)
The Tortall books
Song of the Lioness:
Alanna: The First Adventure
In the Hand of the Goddess
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
The Realm of the Gods
Protector of the Small:
Beka Cooper (first chronologically, but the newest books):
Mastiff (Recently released 10/25/11)
Standalone Tortall title:
Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales