Saturday, June 30, 2007

Library Meme

I found this meme on Becky's Book Reviews several days ago, but and I just couldn't resist.

1. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Let's see, I was in first grade, so I was... seven? Maybe six. THat card lasted me until I was ten, when I had to get a new one because the old had been worn out from too much use.

2. What's the first book you can remember reading from a library?
The first I can remember was the American Girls book. You know, Kirsten, Felicity, Samantha, and Molly. Anyway, I know I got tons of picture books from the library before that, but I don't really remember them.

3. Did you ever participate in a summer reading program or other kids' event at a library growing up?
Yup. All the time. One year, I was the only kid my age that finished all 50 books for the summer reading event.

4. Do you remember when card catalogues weren't computerized?
No. But I do remember when the card catalog was on a computer that's screen would only be black and yellow.

5. When was the last time you went to the library?
Honestly, it was yesterday.

6. How many books do you usually check out of the library at one time?
At least 4, usually about 8 or so, maybe more, depending on how many requests I have to pick up.

7. Name one great author you've discovered at your library.
Only one? Most new authors I discover at the library, becuase I usually don't buy a book by a new author until I've tried their work at the library first.

8. What was the librarian at your elementary school like?
I don't remember. Our school hardly ever let us visit the school library. We could only go with our whole class, and even then the teachers usually checked things out for us.

9. How many times a year do you go to the library?
A year? Um..... probably at least 60 times, since I usually go once a week. No idea.

10. If you could change on thing about your library, what would it be and why?
My library has selection issues, so I would like to change that. For a while they were doing an Inter-library loan program, which was awesome becuase we could get all sorts of books our library didn't have. But then they discontinued it, because our branch of libraries was getting way more stuff from the other two particpating libraries than vice versa. Which you think would have given our purchasing librarians a clue. But no, they still insist on buying 50 more copies of a book they already have than spending that same money on buying new books not already in the system. Yes, they have a suggestion for purchases form, but it takes (I kid you not) about a year for them to get to your request.

No comments: