Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cybils 2010: Missing Graphic Novel Nominations

This Friday, October 15th, is the last day to nominate a title for consideration in this year's Cybils Awards. So naturally, as it comes down to the last few days, many Cybils participants turn to the ideas of what hasn't made the list yet. And while there have already been a few posts about the subject, I'm going to talk about my favorite panel: Graphic Novels.

Yes, I know I'm biased, because that's the panel I'm on. But honestly, I didn't know a lot of graphic novels that were published this year, so I was pretty excited to see the list of titles that had already been nominated. It's an impressive list, and so far we're sitting at 70 eligible titles, which is 9 more than last year. I'll probably talk a lot in the new few weeks about what has already made the list, but today, let's examine what hasn't made it.

And hey, if you haven't nominated a graphic novel title already, these are all eligible this year. ;)

One book I know I mentioned last year that I was surprised hasn't been nominated yet is the Pride and Prejudice adaptation by Nancy Butler (part of the Marvel Classics line). Her Sense & Sensibility was nominated, but unfortunately it comes out in November, so it's not eligible for this years awards. Which is what happened with P&P last year. I would like the chance to look at this one (I'm a big Austen fan) so hopefully it will squeak by last minute.

Speaking of Marvel Classics, the sequel to last year's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
is also eligible this year. The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel Classics) looks just as fun as it's predecessor. I love Skottie Young's artwork in these. (I also like the look of Marvel's new Her-Oes series, but the publication date is November. Alas, it will have to be eligible next year...)

One of my favorites from last year (although it didn't make the shortlist) was Graphic Spin's adaptation of The Emperor's New Clothes. This year their publications focused on American Tall Tales, and there is a Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, John Henry, and Pecos Bill adaptation all eligible for this year's awards. What, no Annie Oakley?

One new find for me last year was the Girl Genius series by Phil Foglio. This is a great series of graphic novels, especially for those who are into steampunk. The newest volume, Girl Genius Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and The Heirs of the Storm, is eligible this year, and I'd love to see it make the list. I got my dad addicted to this last year, so he wants to see it on the list so he has an excuse to borrow the book while I'm reading it...

Longtime readers of this blog know I'm a total Disney nut. And beyond that, the only thing I enjoy more than Disney princesses are the Disney fairies. And there are graphic novels of them! Three of titles are eligible this year: Prilla's Talent, Tinker Bell and the Wings of Rani, and Tinker Bell and the Day of the Dragon. I hope to see one of them make the list (especially the one about Rani, she's my favorite), since I just love my Disney fairies.

And while looking at the shiny new fairies graphic novels, I came across another Disney title that I hope eventually makes it: Disney's Hero Squad: Ultraheroes Vol 1. This series looks like so much fun. It reminds me of the DuckTales cartoons I used to watch and love when I was little.

Actually, Disney's been really busy this last year in the graphic novel department. I found all sorts of eligible titles from the Pixar movies while poking around, including Wall-E: Recharge, Toy Story: Return Of Buzz LightYear, Cars: Radiator Springs, Finding Nemo: Reef Rescue, and The Incredibles: Revenge From Below.

One book I read just a few months ago and really enjoyed was The Lizard Prince Vol. 1 by Asuka Izumi. Looking around, I notice that The Lizard Prince Vol. 2 is eligible this year. Since this is next on my TBR list anyway as soon as the Cybils is over, it would be nice to combine the two, since I really love the characters in this one.

If you look at the current nomination list, you'll see that a title called Muppet Robin Hood has already made it. Poking around on Amazon to try and find out more about the book I discovered there's also a Muppet King Arthur and a Muppet Peter Pan that were also published this year. This looks like a fun series, and I love the Muppets almost as much as I love Disney (almost).

The rash of graphic novel adaptations that I mentioned last year has continued. But for some reason I can't think of any examples off the top of my head except The Clique: The Manga. Probably because I just picked it up from the library a couple weeks ago. But I know there were a lot more published this past year. Help, anyone?

So that's my list, or at least what I can think of right now. We'll have to see if any of these end up making the cut with the deadline. And if I missed any titles you know are eligible, leave them in the comments and I'll add them to the list!

1 comment:

M.A.D. said...

Mary D
zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wow. I had no idea these were even available in graphic format?! And I absolutely LOVE the Clique Series (kind of a Kuh-laire gal, myself) ... would really enjoy seeing this in graphic novelization. :D