Thursday, September 29, 2011

Guest Post: Katie from Katie's Bookshelf

Today's guest post is a little bit different. Today's post comes from Katie of Katie's Book Blog. Rather than writing a post, Katie decided she wanted to interview me about this milestone. So here are Katie's questions and my corresponding answers. I hope you enjoy it!



What made you decide to start your blog?

Really, it was kind of a spur of the moment impulse thing. My first post was on September 1, 2006 which if I remember correctly, was the day I decided to start it. I was bored and looking for something to do on the day before the semester started that year, and it just kind of happened.


Did you always plan on it being about books?

Yes, it was always going to be about books. I had always loved sharing books I’d read with others, and I’d just started writing reviews about 6 months before that. Two girls I "knew" from a YA book forum stated they had just started their own blogs and I thought "hey, I could do that". The focus has changed a lot for me over the years, but it’s still mostly about book-related things.


What is your most memorable moment from your five years of blogging?

Ooh, that’s a hard one. I have to say one of my favorite things I’ve done is meeting some of my readers in person. There’s a family I know that lives close to me and we meet from time to time to exchange books and ideas. It’s the highlight of my year. :)

A close second would have to be when I had the chance to be interviewed by Barry from A Book and A Chat on his blog radio talk show. I had never done anything like that before, and I was super nervous, but it was lots of fun. There were some wonderful bloggers who got interviewed during that month, and I was very honored to be one of them.


What is your favorite thing about being a book blogger?

It used to be the ability to share books I love with other people. And while I still love doing that, blogging is also an outlet for me. I really have to blame my blog on why I chose the major I did in college. If it hadn’t been for what I’ve done in the past 5 years and the people I’ve met and the events I’ve participated in, I don’t know what direction I would have gone in.

But I also love hearing from other bloggers and people who read my blog. It’s nice to know that sometimes I’m not talking to just myself. That’s why I love hosting guest posts and events like the YA Bloggers Book Battle. It’s a great chance to get to know and network with other bloggers. There really are some amazing people out there, and I really look up to a lot of them.


Can you pick a favorite book that you have read since you started your blog? Or two or three? =)

Haha, probably not. I hate these kinds of questions, they are so hard to choose one or two favorites. Hmmm… narrowing it down a bit, one of my more recent (within the last year) favorites is Heist Society by Ally Carter. I just love that book, and I’ve reread it several times (Note to self, get hands on sequel!). I also have to say there are many graphic novels that I would count among my favorite books that I would have never even heard of/tried if it weren’t for my blog and my participation in the Cybils awards every year.


Do you think you will continue to review YA books for many years to come? And why YA?

I would hope so, although my reviews have been lacking lately (LOL). I expect to be reading YA for years to come at least. As far as why YA, that’s a good question. My brother likes to joke that my reading style never grew up. I started reading YA when children’s books felt too young to me, and the adult books were too “smutty” (for lack of a better word) for my taste. Since then I’ve never looked back.

I feel like a lot of adult books are so formulaic, and although that happens in YA too, I feel like a lot of YA authors are willing to push past conventions and try new things. Really, I’m a plot-driven person so I’ll try anything that sounds like it has an interesting plot. I also feel like a lot of adult books are driven on romance or are trying too hard to be “great literature” for my personal preference. I do find myself reading more and more adult books in the last year, so maybe my reading tastes are finally growing up. But I don’t think I will ever give up YA completely.


Last but not least, what do you have to say about your blog turning 5? Did you think it would make it that long?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is has it really been 5 years? And in some ways it makes me feel kind of old. On the other hand, I’m extremely overwhelmed when I think of the experiences I’ve had through the blog over the years. I never in a million years would have expected this to go as long as it has, and obviously I’m still going strong. As far as whether it will make it another five years, who knows? A lot can happen between now and then. But I’m certainly committed to try for 10 years!

Thanks so much for being a part of the celebration Katie! You can check out her blog for more information about her. Meanwhile, the blogoversary is down to a little over a week. Are you sorry to see it go?

No comments: