Thursday, April 02, 2009

Reading in Themes

I was thinking about my reading habits the other day, and I realized I do something which is (in my eyes anyway) a bit unusual.

You see, I seem to read in themes. I get on a kick for a certain type of book and I read everything I can find in that genre for several weeks. For example, right now I'm on a history kick. Not historical fiction, but history. I've got all sorts of history books stacked up beside my bed, waiting to be read.

But it doesn't just go with genre. Sometimes I have a kick for a certain author, once I spent three weeks reading nothing but books about animation, another time I only reread books I'd already read.

Am I the only one who does this? Maybe I'm just weird...

7 comments:

Erika Powell said...

i don't really do it in themes. i do it more by author. I get on kicks where I will only read James Patterson for a few weeks and then only Sarah Dessen for a few weeks. and if I read a book by an author and love it i will go read their whole catalog.

susan said...

Not necessarily themes but genres, rarely authors. I don't think it's weird but it wouldn't bother me if it were.

Em said...

I do this a little bit. Especially with authors but also within genres. I went on a huge female-main-characters-with-magical-powers-in-fantasy kick a couple of years ago. I must have read a bazillion mass market books that fit the bill. I've never really done this in non-fiction though. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I do it too sometimes. Or sometimes I'll read a book about something and then pick up the next book in my reading pile that has something similar in it.

Alyssa F said...

Ladytink- I do that too. In fact, I don't recommend reading Ever by Gail Carson Levine right after Book of 1000 Days by Shannon Hale. I had a hard time telling them apart for a few chapters.

H said...

I do that too! Like, a few months ago I came back from the library and realised that all I'd brought back was contemporary fiction with main girl character who has a 'problem,' - struggling with death, drugs, rape etc. I don't normally even read that type of book at all!

Janssen said...

I read seven Sarah Dessens in the last eight weeks. So yeah, I'd say I do that :)