Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Sleeping Beauty's Daughters

Today's Waiting on Wednesday pick is another that you actually don't have to wait long for.  It was actually published yesterday.  But this is one I have been waiting for awhile, since I absolutely love this author.

Sleeping Beauty's Daughters by Diane Zahler
About the Book (copy from Goodreads.com): "The classic fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty is transformed into a dazzling new story of two sisters fighting a powerful curse by Diane Zahler, the acclaimed author of The Thirteenth Princess. Briskly paced and full of lush descriptions, readers who enjoy the work of Shannon Hale and Gail Carson Levine will be swept away by this spellbinding novel.

The daughters of Sleeping Beauty, Princesses Aurora and Luna, have grown up in a cliff-top palace by the sea, where they are carefully protected by their parents. No one visits, the girls cannot stray beyond the castle walls, and all sharp objects are forbidden here.

But accidents will happen—particularly when an old curse still has power. Soon, in spite of all precautions, Aurora is struggling not to slip into an enchanted sleep.

Frantic, the princesses accept the help of a young fisherman named Symon and embark on a daring ocean voyage to find their aunt—a fairy who may be able to break the spell. From fearsome beasts to raging storms, many dangers befall them, yet they must not give up . . . for if Aurora sleeps, she will not wake for one hundred years.
"
So what can I say about this one?  You know me, I absolutely love fairy tale retellings.  Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorites, and although it has been retold many times, I don't think I've ever read one that had this spin to it.  And I really enjoy Zahler's books.  She always manages to put a unique spin on things.  They do tend more towards the middle grade age level, and they can be on the shorter side, but I love them anyway. 

Oh, and isn't the cover gorgeous?  I love the artist that does these covers.  If you haven't already, you should check them all out: The Thirteenth Princess, A True Princess, Princess of the Wild Swans.

Sleeping Beauty's Daughters was released yesterday, August 27th.

Available at Amazon.com in Hardcover or Kindle
Add to your Goodreads shelf
Check availability on Paperbackswap.com

2 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I love fairy tale retellings and there really aren't enough Sleeping Beauty ones IMO so this is one I'd definitely like to check out.

Alyssa F said...

Love Sleeping Beauty! I've read a couple of good ones on Kindle lately, so knowing there's someone else who's partial to them, I'll have to get reviews up soon.