Friday, July 31, 2009

New Poll: Graphic Novels

You may have noticed the new poll over the right sidebar. So here's the deal.

I've been thinking a lot about graphic novels lately. I have a ton on my shelf that I'm currently working through reviews for, and it made me wonder. How many of you (my readers) read graphic novels? This would encompass manga too, of course. Obviously my reviews for graphic novels would be approached a little differently if many of you were unfamiliar with this genre.

I personally read a lot of graphic novels, not because I'm lazy or dislike reading (obviously) but because I think they offer a different type of storytelling than traditional novels. The artwork of a graphic novel can enhance a story so much. But it's a double edged sword too. Artwork can also make a great story seem bland.

So what do you think? Graphic novels or no? Vote in the poll and let me know your thoughts below!

4 comments:

a flight of minds said...

I read a ton of manga, and I own a lot too. I'm thinking of reviewing them on my blog, but I'm not too sure if I should. I don't know if I'd be able to review them well. I love manga though. I don't read much other graphic novels though. I think the drawings can really make a story so much better- but then again, if the artwork is terrible, I won't read it, even if it's good.

- Alex

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

I'm really interested in reading more graphic novels. I've only read a few and they are usually tie-ins to novels. It's so nice to have illustrations and artwork that goes along with the story world that I'm already familliar with. I'm planning on reading some stand alone graphic novels and I'd be interested in seeing some more reviews from you. I hope to become more familar with GCs.

soundistheword3 said...

I think you should go for it. I love reading graphic novels and appreciate them even more after taking an English course on them. I think it would be great if more people were actually reading them.

Kristin

Unknown said...

I haven't read any but I'm not opposed to it.