Monday, September 19, 2011

Pirates!

Ahoy there mateys!  Today be September 19th, also known as International Talk Like A Pirate Day!  This be Anne Calicocash (no really, that's my pirate name) here to share all sorts of pirate-y books with ye in honor of the day.  Okay, so I don't think I can keep this up the whole time, but in all seriousness, here's some pirate books (or books with pirates in them) for you landlubbers to check out.  Yarrr!

Grandma and the Pirates by Phoebe Gilman
When I was in grade school this was one of my favorite books.  Melissa and her grandmother get kidnapped by pirates when the hungry band goes after Grandma's noodle pudding.  I had one of those "book on tape" recordings that came with the book and loved listening to this one over and over.  Plus, I think some of the attraction  was that the girl's name was Melissa, since growing up it was hard to find books with characters named Alyssa.  Melissa was about as close as I could get. 

Lives of the Pirates: Swashbucklers, Scoundrels (Neighbors Beware!) by Kathleen Krull
I read this one not too long ago for a review from a local publication.  Apparently there's a whole series of "lives of" books by this author, but this was my first one.  I have to say I'm usually not big on biographies, but I really enjoyed this one.  There were a lot of interesting information and some fun facts too.  Plus the illustrations were completely unique too.  A quick read to check out if you're more interested on the factual side of things. 

Inside the Walls of Troy by Clemence McLaren
Okay, so this one probably has your eyebrows raised.  How is Greek mythology related to pirates?  Well, the book actually starts off way before the Trojan war, when Helen of Sparta is kidnapped by a group of pirates and held for ransom.  I first read this in the 5th grade, and it was probably one of the first novels I read that has pirates in it.  So despite the random connection, it still makes my pirate list. 

Tris's Book by Tamora Pierce
I would be remiss if I had a pirate post and didn't mention Tris's Book from the Circle of Magic series.  The pirate attack on Winding Circle temple is the main conflict of this book, after all.  And these are definitely the bad kind of pirates.  You know, the ones you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley late at night. 

Bloody Jack by LA Meyer
Another book no pirate list would be complete without.  This one also recently won the Best Main Character award from our Book Battle Reader's Choice Awards.  And while Jacky is not technically a pirate per se, there's plenty of seafaring adventure as she encounters plenty of pirates. 

And one more book for you.  Anyone recognize this:

Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin' in ev'ry cove, waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin' adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you've come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey.

If you're a Disney nut like me, then you probably do.  This is the message given by the skull and crossbones at the Disneyland version of Pirates of the Carribbean.  Which brings me to:
Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell
I love behind the scenes books.  And this one is one of my favorites.  From initial idea to construction to differences between the Disney parks to the Pirates movies, this book covers it all.  It's a great book for those of you who like random Disney facts and Jason Surrell does an excellent job in the writing as well.  I ate this one up.

2 comments:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I really want to read the 'Bloody Jack' books -- I keep hearing such great things about them!

Mystica said...

I've won Bloody Jack. Just waiting for its arrival.