Sunday, October 04, 2009

Answers to First Lines Contest

As promised, here's the answers to last month's first lines contest. See how many you got right!

1. I felt cold metal on the side of my skull before I heard the voice. - The Highwayman's Footsteps by Nicola Morgan

2. When my father died, I thought the world would come to an end. -A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

3. There was a time, during the golden age of men and gods, when mankind became forgetful, almost to the point of its own destruction. - Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy

4. "My God, Persy, you killed him!" - Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle

5. "Please tell me what to do," I whisper, staring at the crucifix on the wall. - The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante

6. My lady: I pray this letter finds you in a place of safety. - Ophelia by Lisa Klein

7. "Honey, I'm so sorry." - Bride of the Water God Volume 1 by Mi-Kyung Yun

8. Ar Kin was the first ex-convict I had ever met. - Forbidden Tales: Sword by Da Chen

9. When Uncle Frank's head was finally parted from his body, the crowd laughed. - How the Hangman Lost His Heart by K. M. Grant

10. Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. - Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

11. Silvano da Montacuto was not just young, handsome and rich. - The Falconer's Knot by Mary Hoffman

12. Edward Fairchild, Prince of the Enchanted Forest, Lord of the Desert's Edge, Friend to the Unicorns, and King of the Secret Country, wished he were somewhere else. - The Secret Country by Pamela Dean

13. Rebecca Winter, gifted, cheerful, and poor, had lived sixteen years without once seeing a bomb go off. - The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman

14. We heard the music even before we got to Union Hall. - Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher

15. "Four-ball, side pocket." - Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

16. Jane was crying. - Angelmonster by Veronica Bennett

17. The whispers began the day she arrived on horseback at the gates of the Emperor's palace. - Kiki Strike: The Empress's Tomb by Kirsten Miller

18. I'm not going to begin my story with "Once upon a time," even though many of you will call it a fairy tale. - Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors

19. The big television cameras of the You've Been Caught Napping game show prowled in the darkness at the edge of the set, their lenses focused on the old man's face. - The Sky Inside by Clare B. Dunkle

20. I'm dead. - The Everafter by Amy Huntley

21. And the next thing I knew I was a baby. - Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn

22. The heat was awful. - The Misadventures of Maude March by Audrey Couloumbis

23. The burning arrow thudded into the wall. - Evernight by Claudia Gray

24. Six elephants could have gotten off the monthly train and they wouldn't have been as big a deal to Arley as her precious box of Penny Dreadfuls. - Much Ado About Grubstake by Jean Ferris

25. I wasn't at all surprised when Cinderella gave me the finger. - Dream Factory by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler

26. What the freakin' heck-- I Was a Teenage Popsicle by Bev Katz Rosenbaum

27. Five simultaneous screams ripped through the cathedral. - Scrapped Princess: A Tale of Destiny by Ichiro Sakaki

28. It looked like a bad day for photographers. - Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

29. Pieces of her are broken. - Poison Ink by Christopher Golden

30. Diary of F. Bamfield. - Canned by Alex Shearer

31. My parents are trying to ruin my life. - Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley

32. It was just past midnight and I was trudging through the St. Louis Greyhound station, a grim building obviously brought to you by the people who design high school bathrooms. - Cathy's Key by Sean Stewart and Jordan Weisman

33. The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit. - Uglies by Scott Westerfel

34. I never called the number. - Dramacon, Volume 2 by Svetlana Chmakova

35. Death disturbed the night. - Aurelia by Anne Osterlund

36. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her. - Austenland by Shannon Hale

No comments: