Friday, October 02, 2009

Banned Books Week: I Read Banned Books

For my BBW post today I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of banned books I've read. So I found a pretty good list courtesy of this website. So here's a list of the ones I've read:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle

I'm sure there are more, but due to time constraints I can't search them out at the moment. In reading through these lists I also found some pretty interesting bans. So here's a list of some silly bannings:

American Heritage Dictionary - Banned in 1978 because it contained 39 "objectionable" words.
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig - Banned in 1977, because the book, which portrays its characters as animals, presents the police as pigs.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Banned in the province of Hunan, China for the portrayal of anthropomorphized animals acting on the same level as humans.

I hope you enjoyed today's foray into banned books. Now celebrate the freedom to read. Go read one yourself!

If you compile your own list of banned books you've read, leave me a link and I'll round them up.

Natasha @ Maw Books Blog

3 comments:

MissA said...

I didn't know half of these books were considered 'banned or bad'. Catcher in the Rye? Hilarious. Are you there God, It's me Margaret? So thoughful and good. The Giver was ok but interesting. Harry Potter? I don't even understand. Lord of the Flies I really didn't like, but I'm not sure why i'ts banned.
What website did you find this list from?

Alyssa F said...

It was on ALA's website. They have a list of the 100 most challenged books of the last decade (or something like that). Can't remember exactly what it was called.

Haiku Amy said...

What in the world?? Why did Where's Waldo get banned? That has got to be the most ridiculous, besides the dictionary.