Saturday, October 24, 2009

RW Wrap Up: Ghost Stories

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed my first Recommendation Week on ghost books. For those of you who missed them, here's all the reviews that I featured this week:

Ghost Files: The Haunting Truth by The Ghost Society
Haunted Mansion by Various
The House Next Door by Richie Tankersley Cusick
A Coming Evil by Vivian Vande Velde
Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story by Kathryn Reiss

Here's a few more ghostly stories from me:

The Seer of Shadows by Avi - This was one of the Cybils finalists last year, and the first one I read. It's about a photographer and his assistant, who in taking a photograph of a high society women find a ghostly face appearing there. This one has got plenty of creeps and chills, and if you can pick it up soon, this one is perfect for Halloween.

The Ghost Wore Gray by Bruce Coville - This is a great ghost story for younger kids. Apparently it's part of a series, but this one is the only one I was ever able to find when I was growing up. Two best friends are investigating why a Civil War ghost is haunting the hotel where they are staying. What is his unfinished business? This is more mystery than horror, which makes it great for readers who are usually too creeped out by the ghost thing. This one's a little hard to find since it's out of print, but check your local library for a copy.

The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot (first book is Shadowland). - If you haven't heard of these yet, you really, really should pick them up. All six books reside around Suze, a who is a mediator, aka someone who can see and feel ghosts. Suze's mission is to get the dearly departed to move on, even if she has to kick thier butt into the afterlife herself. This series has got everything: a butt-kicking heroine, plenty of humor, teenage antics, and of course ghosts. Said case of ghosts especially includes Jesse, the hottest dead guy ever (in my opinion, anyway).

And here's some recommendation from readers:
A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
Ruined: A Novel by Paula Morris
Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe
ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley
Ghost Huntress: The Awakening by Marley Gibson
Tryst by Elswyth Thane

A big thank you to everyone who submitted suggestions! I hope the rest of you have found some new reads to try. So that concludes it for this time. If you have suggestions for future Recommendation Weeks, please let me know!

2 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

This was a neat post idea. I know it must be quite time consuming for you! I love reading all the themed suggestions.

Haiku Amy said...

Hey I read "The Ghost Wore Gray" when I was in school. I liked it. I can't really remember what happened, but it was pretty mysterious.