Saturday, December 05, 2009

Guest Post: A Christmas Story

Today I'm happy to present a guest post by Elie of Ellz Reads. If you enjoy this post, make sure you head over to her blog and check it out. Elie is also the host of the upcoming 12 Blogs of Christmas event, so you can stay up to date with that by following her blog. So without further ado, take it away Elie!

With the arrival of the holiday season, brings the return of one of my favorite movies, A Christmas Story. This 80's comedy stole my heart the first time I saw it and continues to delight me year after year.

Ralphie, our pint sized hero, desperately wants a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. The problem is, no one thinks it is safe. This hilarious comedy follows his quest for the perfect present. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it for your Holiday movie list.

So now I would like to present you with:

5 Things I Learned From A Christmas Story

1. Never stick your tongue to a flagpole in the middle of winter. IT WILL STICK! Ralphie dares his buddy Flick to try and well...
I think this speaks for itself. But, if you ever decide to dare your friends into trying this, you have to be specific in your wording. Only a "triple dog dare", the most serious of all dares, will do.

2. Bunny-faced footie pajamas with ears are cozy, but not fashionable. Yes, some people do look good in pink, but alas, the bunny slippers would definitely ruin a special moment with your significant other. You would always feel like you were being watched. Ralphie received his from his sweet Aunt Clara. awwww.

3. The occasional bar of soap won't kill, but I don't believe it will make you stronger. I am sure I am not alone when I admit that I have tasted a bar of soap or two. Ralphie spills a few choice words in front of his father and gets to sample the Palmolive. aagh, I prefer Dove myself.

4. Department store Santas, while their hearts are in the right place, are not the real thing. After waiting in line to see Santa for hours and hours, he got the boot. The real Santa would never do this.

5. Lastly, I learned that not all prizes are good. Ralphie's father won a "major award" and it turned out to be electric sex on a base. While it was good for a laugh, I don't think I would want this prize lighting my front windows. Did you know you can actually buy these?

So keep these little life lessons in mind, you never know when you will need them.

Happy Holidays!

Elie (http://ellzreadz.blogspot.com/)

All pictures were borrowed from www.flickstongue.com

11 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Love it! This movie is an integral part of my christmas experience. I always watch a good portion of the 24 hour marathon and have long had the whole movie memorized. Thanks for the great post :)

Sheere said...

Hahah so funny! The movie is great, I have always wanted to know what happend when you stick your tongue to a flagpole or an ice statue!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I've never seen this entire movie! Looks hilarious.

My favorite Christmas movies are National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (a yearly staple), The Ref, and Love Actually.

Ellz said...

fictionfanatic-you really must see it, it's really funny.

Sheere, don't try it unless you have some hot water to help remove yourself (shudders)

A Bookshelf Monstrosity- there is actually a house up the road with the leg lamp in the window.

Jenny N. said...

I've actually never seen this movie before and I think its the first time I've ever heard about it. From your guest post it does sound hilarious.

Unknown said...

Sheere, as Elie suggested, don't try it unless you have hot water to remove yourself. Better yet, don't try it. I was a stupid child who tried it once and, while I wasn't left standing there for hours and then stuck with a huge bandage for my tongue, I did rip the top layer of skin(?) from my tongue freeing myself... and it hurt. So, I particularly enjoy that scene in the stinging memory of my own idiocy.

My favorite scene, though, is the Santa scene. Santa giving the boot is beyond hilarious! :-D

Alyssa F said...

Sheryl,

Ouch! I got stuck to an ice cube once, but that was a finger, not my tongue. That sounds like it hurt. It must have been weird to have a bandage on your tongue too...

Unknown said...

No bandage, just the raw flesh that healed fine on its own. Bandages are for kids who are caught doing stupid things. ;-)

Unknown said...

I'm not trying to stick to this subject, but I just saw this news article and thought that readers here might find it interesting:
Christmas Story: Boise boy licks pole, gets stuck

throuthehaze said...

I love love love this movie! My dad and I watch it together every year

Wrighty said...

This is one of our traditions too. My hubby and I watch it every year during the 24 hour marathon on TBS on Christmas Eve. We have it on while putting presents under the tree.

I never stuck my tongue on a flagpole but we have long winters and have definitely done something similar. When my mom was a kid she licked a metal mailbox while waiting for the school bus. When she saw it coming she panicked and ripped her tongue and lips off. Raw and a bit bloody - a very long day at school that day!