Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: 12.22.09

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  1. Grab your current read
  2. Open to a random page
  3. Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
  5. Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My teaser today comes from page 155 of NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society by Michael Buckley (some sentences edited out for brevity's sake):

"So, how do we get up to the roof?" Jackson asked, eyeing the building. It was easily ten feet tall.
"Like this," Flinch said as he grabbed Heathcliff and tossed him high into the air.
"No way are you doing that to me!" Jackson said.
"It's really safe," Duncan said, just before he was tossed as well.
"He's right," Flinch said. "I've only crippled three people. That's a very good percentage."
"Now, let's talk about this," Jackson said, but a moment later the boy's hands hefted him off the ground and flung him igh into the sky. Flinch's toss was perfect and Jackson came down on the roof like a feather. A barfing, crying feather--but a feather nonetheless.
Okay, so that was more than two sentences, but you had to read all of those to fully appreciate the situation. I am totally loving this book! I hadn't yet picked up Michael Buckley's other books (The Sisters Grimm) but now I think I will. After I finish this one of course!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"It's really safe," Duncan said, just before he was tossed as well.
I think that this one is my favorite sentence. It invokes such a strange visual. The next sentence is a gag, of course, but I can really see this one.

The teaser worked. I must now read this book!