Saturday, December 05, 2009

A Note on Comments

I hate to post this kind of thing, especially around the holidays, but I've had a few experiences lately that merit this kind of post. Please realize that this doesn't apply to 99% of the people who leave comments on my blog. I love hearing your opinions and truly encourage you to comment.

Unfortunately, I've had a few anonymous comments lately that have been attacking and rather biting of the things said on this blog. When I opened the blog to anonymous commentators I mentioned that anything off topic or inappropriate would be deleted. This is reminder of that policy. And the decision is mine, not the choice of the person who made the comment.

Don't get me wrong, please. I love having anonymous comments (when they are appropriate), which is why I opened it up in the first place. I have several people who leave lots of anonymous comments that I leave alone. Just check my archives. But this blog is not political in nature. I do occasionally comment on political types of things, and these are the posts those kinds of comments should be posted on. I don't care if you disagree with me or not. It's a matter respect of others and keeping things on-topic, not the expressed opinion.

Again, I apologize for the reminder. This really doesn't apply to most of you. But it really saddens me that people think it's okay to hide behind the anonymity of the Internet to put others down. And I won't allow that here.

I post this full well knowing that I will probably lose readers and/or followers after posting this. But I do it anyway with full knowledge of the consequences. You can disagree with me and stop reading, that is fine. If that's the way you feel, you may not enjoy this blog long term anyway. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as the expression of that opinion does not harm or disrespect others.

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled day.

8 comments:

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I agree completely. I have anonymous comments enabled on my blog too. I haven't had any issues, besides spammers.

I'm sorry to hear someone is abusing this privilege you've given to your reads.

I hope everything works out fine. I personally enjoy your blog very much and can't see why anyone would say something negative.

Alyssa F said...

I don't mind so much when they attack me or my blog. I can handle it. But when they are disrespectful to another comment, that's just wrong.

Thanks for the support!

Wrighty said...

I didn't see the comments but I have no tolerance for that either. I understand that people disagree but there is never any reason to be rude and disrespectful. Of course those are the anonymous comments too. Fortunately most people are friendly and kind.

As Jessica mentioned I can't see why anyone would be negative here either. You have a great blog and I also enjoy coming here. Good for you for cutting it off now.

Kate said...

I agree with you. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have anonymous comments allowed (at least I think I do). And I've only had two inappropriate ones which were just comments written in another language and when translated, trying to sell something.

You run a fantastic blog and don't deserve unrelated/negative comments!

Kristen said...

I've had this happen once and it would've been fine with me if not for a few choice cuss words the anon commenter added in. I'm glad you've made it clear about how to handle situations like these. :)

Unknown said...

I post this full well knowing that I will probably lose readers and/or followers after posting this.
I doubt that you will, really. Internet trolls are not readers as much as they are looking for any opening to a fight. With your blog as popular as it is to regular readers (and commenters), trolls consider it a good opportunity to argue. It is more about being seen than about paying attention to where they are being seen.

Sheere said...

It is really a shame, if people dont respect others..

throuthehaze said...

I hate when people are rude and hide behind "anonymous".